s--p--o--n--i--x

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:31:20 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

You're not supposed to plug it in to the electrolyte, it needs to be
plugged into the wall....

Err....no.

Try this experiment. Take a glass of lemon juice and place a steel
nail and an offcut of copper pipe. Use a multimeter to measure the
voltage between the copper and the steel. You'll find that a voltage
is produced. This is electrolysis.

Many early central heating systems failed due to electolysis.
Electrolysis would occur due to a mixture of metals being used in the
system (Copper pipework, cast iron boiler etc) which would result in
the copper being eaten away.

That's precicely why modern cylinders are fitted with "Sacrificial
anodes"-electrolysis eats away at the anode rather than the copper
pipework.

A positive effect of electolysis is that it inhibits the build up of
scale.

Top of the range boilers contain electolytic scale inhibitors. The
Liff Limebeater is an electrolytic scale inhibitor. (I'm not on about
magnetic water conditioners or whatever as there is no scientific
proof these work.)

My question isn't whether electrolytic scale inhibitors work-they do.

My question is whether they work well enough to warrant fitting to a
heating system.

sponix