Doctor Evil

"Bazza" wrote in message
Yes electronic "softeners" do work contrary to replies from previous
posts but it depends on what you expect from them.
I installed one some twelve years ago after using them successfully in
an industrial setting but don't expect them to make the water feel softer.
I have noted particularly in the electric kettle that instead of the
usual build up of hard lime scale on the element the lime content of the
water ends up as a sludge in the bottom which is easily swilled out.
Previously descaling the kettle, shower head etc.. took place monthly,
(the water is very hard in the Dunstable area)nowadays I do it about
every 6 months.

I have one and that is my experience too.