The Natural Philosopher

John Rumm wrote:

The Limebeater modifies the physical
composition of the ions but no chemical reaction takes place."

Gosh. I wonder what it is that is meant by something that alters the
phsyical composition without a chemical reacxtion taking place?

Since taht is precisely what a chemical reaction IS.

Begs the question what pH water do you need to work as a suitable
electrolyte?

Electrolysis works at any PH exccept totally neutral. It just requres
ions of some sort.

And if you have electrolosis going on then how long does
your anode last before needing replacement. Finally how well does
electrolysis work with a flowing electrolyte?

I think you will find that what is happening is not electrolysis.

The way its supposed to work is by biasing crystal formation from one
type to another. so that e.g. you might, if it were water, get snow
instead of ice...or in the case of carbon, soot instead of diamonds..

The basic idea being not to soften the water, but to keep the calcium
carbonate in solution as a suspsension of fine powedery crystals, not a
rock hard lump of scale.

I suspect it mnay even work if its banged up next to the pump or
whatever you want to not get scaled up, but it isn't what I want in my
house. I want soft water with no calcium in it at all to make my soap
soapier and prevent calcium scums.