Lew Hodgett

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

I'm about to embark on building an adobe wall outside my house (clay bricks
basically). I intend to put in a gate and in order to hang this thing, I
will be putting prolly 3"x8" rough cut cedar or pine into the ground against
the wall ends to create the frame. I plan to set these in concrete around
24" deep. I'll then fasten the wood to the wall but can't rely on the
adobe to provide a whole lot of support (hence, sinking the frame into the
ground). I've got termites in this area and I'm worried about the wood
rotting out as well.

Once upon a time the above was basic practice; however, things change.

Think you will find that pouring concrete around a wooden post that is
maybe 24" down in the ground won't solve your problem.

Suggest you consider the following;

Pour a concrete cylinder that is below the frost line and rises above
grade level at least 8" that contains about 4, 1/2"-13 standard anchor
bolts (The bottom of the bolt has a right angle bend, the other is
threaded).

A commercial form for this is known as a "Sona tube".

It is basically a paper tube that is coated so it doesn't stick to the
cured concrete.

Any decent electrical contractor who installs parking lot lighting can
give you a source.

Form a steel plate in the shape of a "U" that gets bolted to the anchor
bolts below and has a flap on each side of the post that allows thru
bolting.

You may be able to find a commercial item but if you don't, NBD.

Any machine shop with a press brake and a welder can easily make them.

What I have described is almost standard construction here in SoCal.

HTH

Lew