Perry Gunn wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the advice & suggestions - even the one about
laying off the caffeine. :-)

My 'Oh Sh*t!' reaction is pretty typical for me - find something
unexpected and think the worst, then investigate/ask questions and
find out it's not as bad as all that! And a good night's sleep always
seems to put things in perspective

We're currently awaiting the visit from the inspector and we'll just
have to see what he says about replacing the wood - if we have to do
it, we have to do it! Could do without the extra expense though!

Can we all quote you for some work?
I'm sure you need new piers to support your new steelwork, after all
you cant rest steel on nothing.

Plus I'd have to put new foundations in for those piers of course...
thats life.

My mate ere says you need to rewire that socket cos its so dangerous.
In fact it all is, have to rip the lot out and start again. You've got
to do it!!!

Sheesh, who put the window in like that? That could fall down at any
moment! You'll need new double glazing, in lovely self yellowing self
cracking plastic, plus a full set of new lintels, those old concrete
ones are no good.

Oh my, who put your boiler in?? Good lord, you must get that seen to
before winter, dont want any accidents there.

Perry.... relax You've got more support there than millions of
houses in the UK, and theyre not falling down. Its quite common to find
Victorian wood lintels that are rotten, there are 100s of 1000s of
houses without any lintels, and so on.

NT