The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:

David Lang wrote:

Hi Tim

So now I want to do whatever I can to PREVENT their
reappearance. Or at least postpone it for a long time.

I'm going to face the same problem soon when I install my gravel drive. A
quick Google found
http://tinyurl.com/dd2tb which suggests a 'residual' weed
killer. Didn't mention any brand names though.

I think the only really effective solution for a gravel area is a
membrance. We have a large gravel drive and neither sodium chlorate
nor pathclear keeps it clear of weeds for any reasonable length of
time. It must have had lots and lots of sodium chlorate on it over
the years and we're in a low rainfall part of the country but the
weeds are stall as rampant as always this year.

Actually the answer is to make the gravel deep. 2-4". That takes time to
become clogged with mud. When it does, you scrape it out and lay another
2-4". The depth is enough to wash seeds etc down to the base where they
don't get enugh light to germinate.

If you're going to scrape it out regularly wouldn't it be easier to
put down a membrane? It's not very expensive.

--
Chris Green