Leif Thorvaldson

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
mac davis wrote:
snip of logistics gone mad
I'm setting up a few 5 gal. buckets and hoping
that the LDD thing works on a regular, revolving basis, like drying in
bags
does...

I don't know what your swingover is, but you *might* want to think about
a bigger barrel, and larger pieces of wood. 10 or 20 gallon would let
you put a big chuck of wood in there, probably as big as you can turn.

Dave in Fairfax

Mac! Dave has the right idea! My procedure prior to my physical problem
was to leave green limbs and trunks in five or six foot lengths, paint the
ends with an end sealer. When I wanted to turn them, I'd cut off the chunk
I wanted to work on, reseal the cut end and after the initial lathe work,
plunge it into the LDD until I was ready to come back to it. You don't have
to keep the pieces in LDD unless they are very short pieces where you don't
have enough blank to cut off a beginning end split.

I am beginning to think that I might offer a three day workshop on the how's
and why's of LDD. Charge a couple of hundred bucks, and pretty soon I'd be
right up there with the giants, Arrowmont, etc! I'd probably have to limit
it to a couple of hundred per class, but I'd furnish the LDD and the vats,
which you could take home with you after the class. There should be room
for it on the rig you used to transport your lathe! *G*

On a side note, Mac. No such thing as coincidences. Your wife's purchase
of that large quantity of LDD was fate driven. She was obviously divinely
inspired! Now you need to buy a fairly large container that would hold at
least five gallons of solution. Lidded, plastic toy storage containers work
great!! The buckets aren't such a great idea. You need more room as Dave
said!

Leif