John Rumm

Perry Gunn wrote:

Things appear to be worse than I thought - after my earlier post we
decided to remove more plaster and expose around the end of the RSJ to
give the builder more to see/work with and we've found that there's no
steel there!

And? ;-)

You might be worrying too much. As Dave said, most victorian properties
will be built using timber for lintels. On older properties they also
often build a slight arch in the brickwork above the lintels (but fill
in the space under the arch so you never see it unless you hack the
plaster off).

The outer skin of the external wall has a concrete lintel and the
inner skin has a couple of 5x2 timbers stood on end! Just had a rush
trip to the hire shop and now got acrows supporting the opening and
the ceilings on either side just to be safe.

How much wall is there being supported on the timber?

How the *%$^ did that get through building regs - and it must have

By someone doing the calculations to show that it is adequately
supported perhaps?

--
Cheers,

John.