Rob Fargher

Patriarch wrote:

How does this enable you to ever get anything done? At least in the US,
with catalog only, we can peruse the catalog in the private reading room.
Wandering through well stocked stores can take all afternoon. Or longer.

And I can put down the catalog, having looked at a picture of a new plane.
Usually. After examining it in hand, I'm not so certain.

I live in Burnaby, British Columbia and have two Lee Valley retail stores
within reasonable driving distance. While their stores are bright &
attractive, with lots of nice oak trim, there's not all that much to pick
up and handle. Most stuff is either behind glass, in display cases,
bolted down, or screwed to the wall. And, not surprisingly considering the
number of items they stock, not all is out on display, either. There is a
nice book section, though, with shelf copies available for perusal and a
number of very comfortable arm chairs for said perusing.

Shopping at a retail LV store is a lot like shopping at a dept. store
catalogue store. You fill out an order form from catalogues (plastic
laminated pages in a steel binder fixed to a bench), take a number and wait
for a green-shirted, usually middle-aged, clerk to call for you. S/he
takes your order form and disappears into a cavernous warehouse, to return
with your goodies. At that point you have your opportunity to have hands-on
inspection. Once you're satisfied, the merchandise is bagged and the two
of you, on your respective sides of the counter, walk down to the cashier.
Your bag is placed in sequence and you cool your heels until the cashier
calls out your name. I have not seen any floor staff yet.

--
Cheers,
Rob