Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
After reading M. O'Donnell's book on decorating, I tried using carver's
punches to make shallow depressions in turned wood surfaces, then I
sanded down to their level and by moistening the surface the patterns
were supposed to rise proud of the surface. It was a miserable failure.

Maybe the punches cut instead of compressing the wood surface and maybe
I used the wrong wood; dry mahogany and wet NIP. Or as I do with Leif's
world famous LDD manifesto, I didn't follow instructions, and was irate
when I didn't succeed. Just because it works for him is certainly no
reason to follow his advice.
Have any of you used this method successfully to raise decorative
patterns?

(Neckties and long shirt cuffs may enhance your appearance while
turning, but the bandages, stitches and scars _if you should survive_
won't.)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

==== Arch! Have you got a health club membership? Perhaps if you started
some weight training, your punch might be more effective. Also, work out on
the heavy bag seems to help.*G*

Leif