JRJohnson

Michael, I e-mailed Mike Luddeman and he replied with the information that
the wood had to be dry. Since it is dripping wet right now, it will be a
while before I can do anything about stabilizing it.

Thanks,
James Johnson

"Curly Woods" wrote in message
In article , jjohnson17
@stx.rr.com says...

wrote in message
oups.com...

James,

Not every piece of wood has to end up on a lathe. You are a creative
person. I know you can make something worthy of the wood just as it

is.

Clay Foster

Hi, Clay!!! Long time no see, no talk to. But in my case, if I can't

turn
it,
I don't even burn it (any longer--moved up town & don't heat with wood
any more). But I think that the response by Owen provides the answer.
When I get a little more free time, I will see what it will cost to
stabilize a
couple peices of the wood.

Thanks to all,
James Johnson

JRJohnson wrote:
Guys, I just got a couple of large box elder trees that blew down in

the
latest storm. The reason they blew down was that they were rotted

up
the
heart. Only 1-3" of wood on the outside was solid. But when I cut

the
trunks up, it had the most beautiful spalting and color you could

imagine.
The problem is that the wood is too soft to turn.

Does anyone know of a method to harden the wood? A thin epoxy, or

something
like that? Even a liquid plastic in a high pressure vessel? Any

successes
out there at all? This stuff is absolutely beautiful, and it would

pain
me
to toss it out.

Thanks,
James Johnson

James,

Give WSSI (http://www.stabilizedwood.com/wssi.shtml) in eastern Iowa a
shot at your stabilization work. Mike Luddeman is a good guy.

All the best,

Michael Mastin
Curly Woods
McKinney, TX