Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
After reading M. O'Donnell's book on decorating, I tried using carver's
punches to make shallow depressions in turned wood surfaces, then I
sanded down to their level and by moistening the surface the patterns
were supposed to rise proud of the surface. It was a miserable failure.

Maybe the punches cut instead of compressing the wood surface and maybe
I used the wrong wood; dry mahogany and wet NIP.

My bet is the wood. Try something like maple, yellow birch or a fruit
wood. Something with tight grain.

I have certainly used the wetting technique for getting dents out of
wood Sometimes some heat helps on the wet wood.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com