kip

Well Charlie read the user's manual.
kip
"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
Nice try, but no cigar.
I have the original factory remote as well as the original user's manual.
There is no "CH Memory" button on the remote. There is one on the VCR
panel but that and "1" have no effect.
The remote also does not have a "MENU" choice.
There is a "FUNCTION" button on the remote, but that does not give any
input information.
BTW, even if the antenna function were software driven there would still
have to be some physical entity to actually direct the signal path.

Charlie

"sofie" wrote in message
Charlie Bress:

Unplug your soldering iron and put away your DVM.... and don't get
dressed
up..... there are NO discrete switches or components that have anything
do with the tuner setup for off air TV antenna or CATV modes..... that
went
away many years before your VCR was built..... it's all done with
internal
software and your "factory remote control."

With the "factory remote" you can select TV (antenna) or CATV modes by
pressing the "CH MEMORY" button and the "1" button simultaneously and
then
press "1" to make the selection..... or if your VCR is slightly newer
you
can enter the on-screen menu by pressing "MENU" and select "set up
channel/auto set" and then select "Antenna system", then select "CATV"

If you do not have the factory remote you are SOL.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
This is a good old VCR that works just fine after 17 years with just one
glitch that just occurred.
The antenna system selection circuit seems to have gotten stuck on the
TV
position and will not cycle through the choices that let you watch cable
above channel 13. The indicator for the antenna system selection no
longer
lights.

I've opened the cabinet and this VCR is mostly discrete components and
the
various circuit boards are fairly generous in having component
identification marking.

It has already been replaced, but here I am, well retired, and willing
dabble if only I had a clue of where to look. I have a DVM and a
soldering
iron (all dressed up and nowhere to go).

Does anyone still have any service information on this VCR? It is well

built
and has features that the new ones don't have. It seems a pity to just
relegate it to the recycle bin. It probably has many more years of life.

Of
course, If I knew somebody that was still tied to an antenna it would

make
a nice gift.

Thanks for any insight

Charlie