Charlie Bress

Default Panasonic VCR PV-4760

This is a good old VCR that works just fine after 17 years with just one
glitch that just occurred.
The antenna system selection circuit seems to have gotten stuck on the TV
position and will not cycle through the choices that let you watch cable
above channel 13. The indicator for the antenna system selection no longer
lights.

I've opened the cabinet and this VCR is mostly discrete components and the
various circuit boards are fairly generous in having component
identification marking.

It has already been replaced, but here I am, well retired, and willing to
dabble if only I had a clue of where to look. I have a DVM and a soldering
iron (all dressed up and nowhere to go).

Does anyone still have any service information on this VCR? It is well built
and has features that the new ones don't have. It seems a pity to just
relegate it to the recycle bin. It probably has many more years of life. Of
course, If I knew somebody that was still tied to an antenna it would make
a nice gift.

Thanks for any insight

Charlie

nvic

Get a cable box, set it for channel 4 (thats VHF) Connect cable, use
cable box. Beats throwing a VCR that works except for a bad tuner away.

sofie

Charlie Bress:

Unplug your soldering iron and put away your DVM.... and don't get dressed
up..... there are NO discrete switches or components that have anything to
do with the tuner setup for off air TV antenna or CATV modes..... that went
away many years before your VCR was built..... it's all done with internal
software and your "factory remote control."

With the "factory remote" you can select TV (antenna) or CATV modes by
pressing the "CH MEMORY" button and the "1" button simultaneously and then
press "1" to make the selection..... or if your VCR is slightly newer you
can enter the on-screen menu by pressing "MENU" and select "set up
channel/auto set" and then select "Antenna system", then select "CATV"

If you do not have the factory remote you are SOL.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
[...]

Charlie Bress

Nice try, but no cigar.
I have the original factory remote as well as the original user's manual.
There is no "CH Memory" button on the remote. There is one on the VCR panel
but that and "1" have no effect.
The remote also does not have a "MENU" choice.
There is a "FUNCTION" button on the remote, but that does not give any
input information.
BTW, even if the antenna function were software driven there would still
have to be some physical entity to actually direct the signal path.

Charlie

"sofie" wrote in message
[...]

Charlie Bress

Ah, Kip' your advice is outstanding. Since you are obviously clairvoyant and
have such an expanded knowledge (as well as your expanded ego) perhaps you
would advise what page of the manual will instruct me on a back door
method of getting around the failure of the prescribed method of selecting
the antenna input choice.

Charlie

.. .

"sofie" wrote in message
[...]

Insulting regulars on this NG will not get you the information you are
looking for. At the very least you should accept the suggestions (and
guesses) without your negative, ungrateful editorial comment. .... and
maybe even say "thank you" for someone bothering to take the time to
reply to your request. Maybe you should just bite your damn tounge.
Without exception VCR tuner TV/CATV problems I have encountered since I
have been fixing VCRs in my shop since 1982 have not involved software
or even discrete components problems. Usually it is an "operator"
procedure error or even a bad tact switch/cracked solder connection.

While we can put a man on the moon, there is NO readily definable "back
door" method to solve your problem. So lighten up and look at your
operator manual or try to find one on-line.... I think that your
answer lies there.
electricitym

Charlie Bress

I responded the way I did to Kip, because I thought his post was insulting.
He had no idea of what I had already done.
Instead I got the shoot from the hip "read the manual" Didn't he think that
having owned this particular VCR for 17 years I had read the manual.

I suspect a component failure as the fault appeared out of the blue with no
warning. I opened the box and was able to confirm that the panel switch was
o.k. This VCR has several circuit bards and I was hoping that someone might
have an old service manual or even a Sam's and been able to provide some
direction as to where to concentrate my efforts. One symptom that makes me
think that there is a component failure is that the panel indicator that
shows TV/CATV is not lighting up.

I come to this group asking a legitimate question and really without a very
high expectation of getting the answer, but better to have tried than just
giving up.

The first TV I ever had the opportunity to repair was around 1954. It was a
7" Dumont with a round electrostatic deflection tube and a brute force power
supply. So I have been doing this sort of stuff for a few years.

So, if anyone feels insulted by my blast at Kip, I apologize. Frankly, as I
know that this group is populated with professionals, I had expected a
better response than a cheap "read the manual"

As far as trying to find an answer on line, this has been it. There was an
earlier response that was a good faith effort. I tried the suggestions, but
they were not compatible with the VCR. Google searches were not productive.

Charlie

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:58:20 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

[...]

Channels 14-23 (or so) are actually below 13...did it go higher than
23 before. The suggestion to get a converter is a frequently-offered
and good suggestion.

Tom

Charlie

Charlie Bress

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Tom. Some one else also suggested the converter. I will probably go
that way.
Until it crapped out the other day it would tune all the way to the top of
its range into the mid 60's.
With time on my hands it might have been an interesting project. But not
without at least a schematic and hopefully board layouts.

Charlie

Tom:
I don't have to think again...... ..... a power supply or uP fault can
prevent the tuner from working properly but I have never specifically
seen (personally or in my repair shop) this type of fault prevent the
tuner that is working OK in the TV AIR mode from going into CATV
mode..... and I have fixed thousands of VCRs over the years.
electricitym
..
..