Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
I think that rcw by not having pictures or
moderators is a particularly comfortable forum for beginning or retread
turners. I sure hope so and I wish more lurkers would contribute. Any
mannerly input is a contribution and often is a welcome change from
repetition, Of course, a query or answer is not repetitious to the
poster or to newcomers and the ng welcomes them and needs them to
survive.

Some of these Q's & A's indicate that there are many simple methods &
techniques for turners that most here take for granted, but not all
beginners know about. I think it is the same with many common safety
warnings and precautions that aren't obvious to newcomers and they might
have little reason to consider.

This is RCW and some dangers and precautions are arguable or may be
discounted by the more experienced, but IMO they should not just be
discussed in depth from time to time, but best kept in mind
continuously. OK, I may be an annoying 'safety nut' or I may have
inhaled too much solvent vapor this morning, but with so many new
turners due to woodturning's rising popularity, I believe that safety
should be rcw's watchword.

As an example, I'll caution against holding hemostats and tools with
ringed handles with fingers thru the rings. Hold by the flats for
obvious reasons. The list of risks & precautions is long and arguable,
but it is important that every turner at least know about potential
dangers. How best to keep the dangers before everybody?

A suggestion to try: if we each added a one line risk or danger or
precaution, potential or actual, as a p.s. or signature to our posts, we
would keep safety continuously in mind. I'd rather rather be annoyed
than hurt and I doubt your milage varies.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

====Arch! Ya gotta stop nursemaiding and mollycoddling these guys! Ya know
they're gonna do exactly what they're gonna do. Real men don't need
cautions, instructions and warnings! Witness the LDD experience!!!

Leif
Covet not thy neighbor's ass!