John Rumm

Default Mini review: Bosch Multi-Construction Drill Bits

Faced with the irritation of arriving on site at a place that required
"a hole", with trusty combi drill in its case, only to find I had
earlier "borrowed" all the drill bits from said case, I thought I would
invest in a dedicated set of bits for each drill case!

To improve the luggability factor, I thought I would try a set of these
all singing all dancing drill any material drill bits:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=35478&recno=4

The anticipation was that they would not be as good as dedicated
Masonry, HSS, and Lip'n'Spur sets, but would be a handy way to recover
from those forgetful moments!

Drilling wood: In short OK. Needs a little more pressure to start them
drilling, but once they have a bite they cut as fast or faster than a
HSS bit. The also clear the swarf nicely.

Masonry: Amazingly good!: They actually outperform any standard masonry
bit I have used in the past. While up a ladder the other day I needed to
drill a couple of holes in the (usually) "impervious to drilling"
render/walls of our place. Fully anticipating needing to get out the SDS
and extension lead as usual, I though I would see if I could get away
with using the cordless "just for two holes". I had one of these drills
in my pocket, so thought I would give it a go. I was amazed to find that
I could sink a 2" deep 7mm hole using my 18V cordless (on hammer) in 10
to 15 secs. I went on to do another 22 holes in the same wall (elaborate
routing of downpipe!) using the same bit and drill and it kept its edge
and performance.

Conclusion: well pleased!

(I bought the four common wall plug sized bits separately, but I notice
that Axminster also list a set of four - but I did not order that since
they neglect to mention which sizes are in the set!)

--
Cheers,

John.