woodworker88

Prior to switching to a TIG welded aluminum frame, our robotics team
built the entire robot out of 80/20. We cut it with a cheapo miter box
(delta I think) or a RAS with a fine tooth carbide tip wood blade, but
these are just delaying the inevitable. What we use entirely now is a
small 4"x6" portable chopping metal cutting bandsaw. We have the MSC
one http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=3285785
but any one would work such as the Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1010 . These saws
have much slower fpm ratings than wood bandsaws and use the weight of
the saw to cut throught the material. They use special metal cutting
blades designed for this kind of material. They are non abrasive, so
they work especially good for aluminum and this type of stuff. Also
have a vise to hold the work, and an auto shut-off when they are
through the material. You just keep squirting on oil and they will cut
their way through a 2" dia aluminum shaft.