Ian_m

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Lobster"
says...
snip
Anyway - having reinspected the 'project' this morning, I find that
there is certainly no easy way to raise or move the steel pipe; it goes
upwards through the ceiling (mating with the loo upstairs) and then
continues straight up through the roof to a vent cowl. It's all very
rigidly fixed and sealed in place and would be a nightmare to shift it.
So I'm thinking, cut through the pipe about 1m above the floor so I
can move out the bottom section. How would I successfully rejoin the
cut ends - another Kwickfit adapter, assuming there's a suitable one
available?

I'd remove the remaining mortar and cut the pipe down flush, clean
everything very throughly, apply a large fillet of silicone sealant
then build up a ring of mortar so it looks like it did in the first
place.

I am sure once when I fiddled around with a cemented soil pipe joint, the
cast iron pipe (in my case) went into the vitreous pipe and the bottom of
the joint was filled with something like "rope soaked in plumbers mait",
with cement ontop. In my case the iron pipe was replaced with plastic and a
rubber seal into the vitreous pipe.