OldBill

I initially thought halls together would be preferable, due to TV noise
etc. But I actually find it a lot more disconcerting to be having a
quiet bath when a trumpet-nosed neighbour next door can be heard
blowing his nose. I guess with small bathrooms, you are often closer to
the party wall. Also, banging of kitchen cabinets travels easily
through a solid party wall. An front doors / stairs also tend to be
loud. If I had a large house where rooms could shrink, I would be
tempted to build a cavity wall onto my side and move all the joists
etc. Or better still, win the lottery and buy a detached house.
Any experiences or preferences?
Simon.

Avoid semis/terraced properties. When you've lived in a detached, even
when the gap is only a metre or so, you'll never go back (until you're gaga)