John

Default Electric pylons... are they noisy?

"Lionel" wrote in message
Hello,

We're planning to move soon but noticed there are overhead electric

pylons
in some parts of the town... health and aesthetic issues aside, we are

also
concerned about the fizzy and/or buzzing noise they are said to make.

Anyone confirm this and suggest at what distance the noise should be
inaudible?

The buzzing is only the sound of the air molecules being torn apart by the
electric stress on them and is often accompanied by a blue glow in the
dark. The phenomena is know as corona. the range of the sound depends on
atmospheric conditions to a great extent but I would suggest its a bit like
living next to a railway line - you soon get used to the sound