Alan Deane

wrote in message
ups.com...
I initially thought halls together would be preferable, due to TV noise
etc. But I actually find it a lot more disconcerting to be having a
quiet bath when a trumpet-nosed neighbour next door can be heard
blowing his nose. I guess with small bathrooms, you are often closer to
the party wall. Also, banging of kitchen cabinets travels easily
through a solid party wall. An front doors / stairs also tend to be
loud. If I had a large house where rooms could shrink, I would be
tempted to build a cavity wall onto my side and move all the joists
etc. Or better still, win the lottery and buy a detached house.
Any experiences or preferences?
Simon.

I have a 3 bed 1930's semi, with halls and stairs apart, living room, master
bedroom and bedroom 2 together.
The only noise I hear through the wall is either when he's DIY'ing (or the
bedroom is being re-fitted like today!) or occasionally, loud music - but
it's got to be really loud for me to notice it through the party wall - far
more noticeable outside in the road!
Older houses seem to be far better in this respect than modern ones, I've
been in many where you can hear the phone, TV stairs etc etc. Luckily we
don't have that problem.

Alan.