Geoff

Default Home Depot Flooring

I decided to replace my carpet with hardwood flooring. Went down to Home
Deport, selected the floor, they special ordered and delivered it. So far,
so good, the day of the installation comes and the flooring company starts
pulling up the carpet. The 3 guys doing it said they can see dog urine on
the carpet but, as a special favor, they will pull it up anyway but not haul
it off to the dump.

What they reported back to their flooring company is the carpet was soaked
in dog urine and therefore they can not haul it off. After many phone calls
and a lot of wasted time, the carpet is pulled and hauled off.

The flooring material selected could not be guaranteed because the plywood
floor has leveling issues. They said I should get nail down flooring.

It seems to me a big step was skipped here. I mean Home Depot accepted my
money and someone in the process, one of the people that came out to the
house, should have said, 'we can't do this job, we detected dog urine . . .'
or whatever. Secondly, for the type of wood selected, they must have known
of its shortcomings which requires a perfectly level floor (maybe a floor
with cement board).

When I bought the flooring but before signing, I very specifically asked
about shortcomings and installation problems. They said they knew of none.
So, I guess no house in my area has had a dog pee on the carpet and all
houses have been levelled perfectly except mine. Seems ridiculous to me.

If this policy was rigorously enforced, I doubt there would be very many
floor installations. I'm waiting to see what Home Depot does, like try to
charge me a restocking fee, etc.

At this point tho, they seem eager to take my money then take the word of
others that the job cannot be done.

-g