Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Gunner" wrote in message

Unless you use deadmen and a bit of concrete.

Yeahbut... (my life is dedicated to the "yeahbut"), because of unfortunate
indiscretions by owner-contractors over the years (like burying posts only
2' deep), most juridictions' code now requires more than just a "bit" of
concrete for pole collars.

My next-door neighbor screwed the code for the whole county. He basically
built a barn on hinges (metal post anchors screwed down to his slab). One
fat downburst later, the barn was on the ground (with the roof in entirely
one piece!), and the county revised the code for all agricultural builders.

Now, we have to go through engineering to even build a two-horse pasture
shelter! Our local code requires posts no smaller than 6" and no less
buried than 4' - regardless of the size of the barn - and a minimum 18"
diameter by 12" deep collar with cross-pinning in the collar and through the
post of #5 re-bar or equivalent.

That's WAY overkill; but because too many people did it half-assed, we all
have to follow a code that is unreasonable (not to mention expensive, to get
engineered, certified drawings from an architect).

LLoyd