Pete Keillor

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:02:15 -0700, BillP wrote:

SNIP

If the pump is flowing more water then it is doing more work, therefore it
will be drawing more current leading to a hotter running motor. Use a clamp
on ammeter to see what it draws now and also what it draws with the 1" hose
installed. I don't gamble much, but I would bet on this one.

Shawn

Shawn, if the pump is working against a restriction in the line (5/8"
hose in this case,) and is designed for 1" output, then it's sure
working hard against that restriction. Opening up the orfice (to what
it was more or less designed to do) might well drop the amperage use as
it won't have to work as hard to move more water through a less
restrictive aperture.....

Bill in Phx.Az.

Shawn's right on this one, as long as it's a centrifugal or constant
head pump. The pressure put up is nearly constant. Work and amps are
related to throughput. Look at a pump curve.

This doesn't hold for "positive" displacement pumps. Throughput will
be fairly constant, restricting the output will increase the pressure
in the pump, and draw more amps. Restrict it enough and you may open
a relief, either designed or otherwise.

Pete Keillor