Dale Scroggins

Ignoramus23410 wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:25:11 -0400, Shawn shawn_75ATcomcastDOTnet wrote:

"Ignoramus23410" wrote in message

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:50:40 -0500, Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Ignoramus23410 wrote:

My main interest here is not even the increased flow -- the current
throughput is adequate -- but mainly reducing the load on the
motor. It gets quite warm during operation. The extra flow will be
merely a bonus.

If the pump is flowing more water then it is doing more work, therefore it
will be drawing more current leading to a hotter running motor. Use a clamp
on ammeter to see what it draws now and also what it draws with the 1" hose
installed. I don't gamble much, but I would bet on this one.

Try this exercise. Take a drinking straw and try to breathe through
it. You will find it difficult and you will spend much energy getting
a little bit of air through.

Then take a 1" ID pipe and try breathing through that.

Your throughput will be much greater but you will work LESS.

Same applies to a pump. Working against restriction wastes energy and
reduces flow.

In fact, I installed new hoses, reinforced plastic type, tonight. The
flow increased at least twice.

Apples and oranges. Your lungs operate as a positive displacement pump.
Your water pump is (I will bet) a centrifugal pump. Like a vacuum
cleaner.

Try this exercise. Turn on your shop-vac. Listen to the motor pitch.
Block the suction. Listen to the motor pitch.

If you measured the current, you would also notice that your vacuum
draws less current with the intake blocked. So does your centrifugal
water pump. Block the suction side of the pump and listen.

To lots of folks, this characteristic of centrifugal pumps is
counterintuitive. But it still is fact, counterintuitive or not.

Dale Scroggins