DeepDiver

"Ignoramus6998" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 00:25:37 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:

Ahh... that explains the slide part. I'd still want to put a coat of
spar urethane on the wood parts to control splinters.

I do have urethane, I was concerned that it would become slippery.
I do not have a non-skid powder.

You don't need to buy non-skid powder. Ordinary beach or playground sand,
sprinkled on the surface of the tacky final coat of urathane would work just
as well.

But the problem with any rough, non-skid traction surface, whether it be
sand or commerical non-skid granuals, is that it can abrade the skin if
rubbed against.

Perhaps a better solution would be to buy some ribbed rubber sheet (like the
kind used for hallway runners) and stretch it over the steps with the ribs
running perpendicular to the direction of travel (along the long axis of the
step). I think the black rubber style is softer and will provide more
traction than the clear vinyl style. My local Orchard Supply Hardware sells
both by the foot off of bulk rolls.

Hand rails should also be essential.

There is a total of 2 steps, and then the platform.

Still, handrails will provide something to hold on to when the feet are
slippery. Plus they prevent falling off the side onto the cement. Plus they
teach children good safety habits (holding onto rails while climbing steps).
Finally, they will be absolutely necessary once your child is brave enough
for you to raise the platform to four feet or higher.

Just my thoughts.

- Michael