Tim Williams

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
Welding is, when the base-material (workpiece) is partial molten.
brazing is soldering above 400 deg. Celsius and below welding.
Soldering is soldering below 400 deg. Celsius.

Of course, there's a metallurgical side to that gray area I'm sure...
something about braze fillers interlocking in the base metal. Not that it
manages to overturn the old 900°F-is-brazing definition.

For example, soft-solder some pieces of lead. You're hard-pressed to call
that anything but a braze!
Zinc and aluminum stick to iron, but good luck getting a stable brazed
joint. Every steel crucible I've had aluminum stuck to, the aluminum just
peeled off like solder (if harder).

Electrical soldering is also a lot of welding, at least if you're redoing
joints.

Tim (has "welded" towers of solder with spare blobs and spare time)

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."