Don Stauffer

Default Soldering, brazing, welding

In answers to my question about history of welding, folks mentioned that
silver soldering and brazing came before welding.

I realize I am not completely sure of the difference. Is the difference
the material used? That is, if you are welding steel, is it only
welding if you are using steel rod? Using solder is soldering, brazing
rod is brazing?
Nick Müller

Don Stauffer wrote:

Is the difference
the material used? That is, if you are welding steel, is it only
welding if you are using steel rod? Using solder is soldering, brazing
rod is brazing?

Welding is, when the base-material (workpiece) is partial molten.
brazing is soldering above 400 deg. Celsius and below welding.
Soldering is soldering below 400 deg. Celsius.

At least that's the German/DIN (ISO?) definition.
BTW: We say "soft soldering" and "hard soldering" to distinguish brazing
and soldering.

HTH,
Nick
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Tim Williams

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
Welding is, when the base-material (workpiece) is partial molten.
brazing is soldering above 400 deg. Celsius and below welding.
Soldering is soldering below 400 deg. Celsius.

Of course, there's a metallurgical side to that gray area I'm sure...
something about braze fillers interlocking in the base metal. Not that it
manages to overturn the old 900°F-is-brazing definition.

For example, soft-solder some pieces of lead. You're hard-pressed to call
that anything but a braze!
Zinc and aluminum stick to iron, but good luck getting a stable brazed
joint. Every steel crucible I've had aluminum stuck to, the aluminum just
peeled off like solder (if harder).

Electrical soldering is also a lot of welding, at least if you're redoing
joints.

Tim (has "welded" towers of solder with spare blobs and spare time)

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Nick Müller

Tim Williams wrote:

Of course, there's a metallurgical side to that gray area I'm sure...

Of corse.

something about braze fillers interlocking in the base metal. Not that it
manages to overturn the old 900°F-is-brazing definition.

Every soldering / brazing (and even welding to some extend) is about
diffusion of two (different) metals. Yes even soldering steel. Soldering
not only "clues" on the surface, it also is going some ore more atomical
layers deep.

For example, soft-solder some pieces of lead. You're hard-pressed to call
that anything but a braze!

By definition, it is soldering.

You might call me dumb, but brazing for me comes from the sound of doing
the job with brass and iron. :-)

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Brazing VS Soldering copper gas pipes sawtooth Home Repair 21 December 18th 16 09:09 PM
Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
beginner's questions about soldering Hoyt McKagen Metalworking 43 December 21st 03 05:23 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM