DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Dale Hallmark wrote:
Well, three phase, or 220; it is worthless for my purposes.
I will see if I can trade it for something I can use.

My shop (a do it yourself shop in the corner of my garage) has neither and I
have no need of them
so far for any project I have planned.

Just a couple of things to consider before getting rid of it:

1) Some of the better used machine tools come by default with
three-phase motors, and while you can swap in a single-phase
motor in some, in others, it is a custom motor, and a
single-phase equivalent may be difficult to find.

And used machines which have been converted to single-phase cost
more (because of the motor cost).

So -- having the ability to construct a rotary converter can
save you money in the long run.

Also -- three-phase can be *quickly* reversed (e.g. when
threading up to a shoulder), while single phase must be switched
off, allowed to coast to a near stop, and then switched into the
other direction.

2) Even 240 can help you with current problems, because for a given
horsepower, 240 will draw half the current that 120 will draw.
When I got my 12" Clausing, it was wired for 120V, and I had
problems with occasional circuit breaker trips when I switched
it on. I re-wired it for 240V, and no problems.

Though I do plan to eventually replace the motor with a 3-phase
one, so I can do instant reverse.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564