JRJohnson

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
JRJohnson wrote:
: Guys, I just got a couple of large box elder trees that blew down in the
: latest storm. The reason they blew down was that they were rotted up

the
: heart. Only 1-3" of wood on the outside was solid. But when I cut the
: trunks up, it had the most beautiful spalting and color you could

imagine.
: The problem is that the wood is too soft to turn.

: Does anyone know of a method to harden the wood? A thin epoxy, or

something
: like that?

Yup -- check out

http://www.rotdoctor.com

That's what you're looking for.

-- Andy Barss

After looking at the rotdoctor site, it seems worth a try. Thanks to all
for their input.

Incidentally, I have used CA to harden soft spots. I also have used 1 lb
shellac, lacquer based sanding sealer cut 50%, all of which works, but not
to the degree that I am looking for. Again, thanks for the help.

Best regards, James Johnson