Peter Hyde

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Derek Andrews" wrote: (clip) There are two part epoxy wood restorers
available, I think the company is Smith & Co
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. The product is called "Clear Penetrting Epoxy Sealer," and I have seen
it used successfully on some pretty punky wood. It think the only problem
you would have is that if the wood is REALLY porous, the filler + wood won't
look like wood. I'd give it a try, though, since the wood is so attractive.
(Smith and Company has a website.)

I have used (in no particular order or preference)
Polyall 2000
50/50 white glue and water mix
PC-Petrifier
LDD

Polyall 2000
Bloody expensive, works OK on punky wood that doesn't crumble to the
touch
50/50 white glue and water. Soaked for 24 hours (total immersion) dried
for a month turned and sanded OK. Didn't take stains was OK with shellac
finish.
PC-Petrifier. A lot cheaper than Polyall. I suspect it is nothing more
than diluted white glue with additives. Works the same
LDD
Funny enough I started using LDD because of a comment on Ron Kent's site
(the original LDD man go he http://www.ronkent.com/RKhome.html )
where he talks about spalting and Norfolk Pine. I have to say the LDD
did make punky wood turnable BUT finishing is a nightmare. I resort to
multiple rinses in hot running water and alternate with the microwave
until there is no more foaming. The LDD will penetrate a 12"dia. punky
log 100% in a weeks soak.
So there you have a choice of 4 take your pick and try one

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/