George

"robo hippy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone experimented with boiling in a LDD and water solution? I did
try the alcohol bath on some small 5/8 inch thick madrone slabs, and
got mixed results, with soaking times of 3 hours to 3 days. But like
one guy I know says about Madrone, "that s*** starts to split when you
fire up the chainsaw!"
robo hippy

Boiling permanently weakens the wood. That's why they don't heat kilns over
about 180. No difference to us as turners, though. There's a bit of
plasticizing, but the advocates of the method don't manipulate the wood
while its steaming. You can, of course. Did some microwave and shape stuff
back when. May do it again someday. You can get a combination
turning/bentwood object that appeals to some, but it's a bugger to sand the
funny shapes.

Oh yeah - WEAR GLOVES!