Prometheus

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:23:47 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

My woodworking goal is to be able to develop the knowledge,
skills and abilities necessary to design, build and finish
furniture I can't afford to buy.

(BTW - Tom Plamann's done it - so there's hope.)

What're you shooting for?

Very similar to your answer, except I'd add this as well. I know that
a lot of things I would like to have just aren't around for any price-
and while it may be possible to hire an artisan or furniture maker to
make them for me, it seems foolish to leave the execution of something
I've got in mind to someone who may see it from a different
perspective, and create something different than I wanted.

So much of the world seems to be mass-produced and disposable these
days, it's nice to think that I've got unique items furnishing my
home. While they may not be quite as nice as some high-end gallery
quality stuff, everything I've made has been better than it's
equivilant at the places I can afford to shop- and I know that I'm not
going to see a carbon-copy of it in someone else's home.

Barring some unforseen accident, I don't intend to give up at it- and
god willing, I've got another 50 years or better to gain experience
and skill. Hopefully I'll be good enough someday to leave carefully
protected heirlooms for posterity that people will protect and enjoy
when I'm gone. It seems like a good legacy to me.