Ken Moiarty

The nests are very small. When I noticed them there were a handful of wasps
on and nearby busily (apparently) in process of constructing them. Both
nests ("both" that is, if I don't find others when finally I make the effort
to search the rest of the attic) can only be accessed from inside the attic.
The attic itself can only be accessed and exited through a ceiling hatch
inside a tiny closet (unless you're a wasp, of course), and this hatch is
much less than 15 feet away from the two nests. Can't see myself spraying
these guys from any kind of 'safe distance' here... An image of myself
reflexively hopping as fast as I can away from the nests and past my tiny
exit hatch, my eventual escape further aggravated by the need to step only
on the rafters to avoid crashing through the ceiling-drywall between, in a
panicked bid to escape my frenzied attackers, comes to mind. Maybe I'll
hire a pro afterall g.

BTW, I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Maybe what you're saying about "this time of
year the nests should be empty" applies to elsewhere on the continent?

Ken

Harry wrote on 2 Jun 2005 06:09:04 -0700:

HK Ken Moiarty wrote:
?? ... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct
?? me to a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this
?? common home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a
?? regular basis.) Thanks. With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail:
??

HK This time of year, the nests -should- be empty. The queens are just
HK starting their brood. You should be hanging wasps traps up there now to
HK trap them. Also the common paper wasps do not re-use a nest. Most of
HK what you are seeing should be empty for that reason. I use the long
HK distance spray cans that I can spray from at least 15 ft away. Have
HK done it in the middle of a warm day with no problem but that was
HK outside.