carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Actually Steve, while in college I did work as a mechanic's grunt for
| two years, but that was in the days where impact wrenches were unknown
| and you had to rely on your arm muscles to get the difficult tasks
| done. Perhaps that was a was a blessing in disguise.

A few years ago an ergonomics person pointed out that you won't see many
construction outfits using nailguns anymore. Seems that they started using
them to alleviate the carpal tunnel caused by using hammers. However, they
were snagging their hoses on stuff, wrenching their backs. Someone noticed
that while carpal tunnel was expensive, it was something that could be fixed
with known results, but back injuries were even more expensive and with
mixed results as to whether or not you even get to keep your employees.
Self powered nailguns are popular as a result, but they're a bit on the
heavy side, and far from cheap for the small user. Seems you can't win for
losing!