George

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
news:YyDne.6364$nG6.5414@attbi_s22...
The word you are looking for is 'bulking'. PEG works by bulking, not

drying
the wood. People have speculated, but not emphatically stated, let alone
proven that LDD bulks. Others say it doesn't bulk. The jury is still out

on
that.

Wasn't looking for a word, but the jury, in the form of the microscope, has
decided that issue.

a) Soak times quoted for LDD are absolutely inadequate for replacement.
Actually, they vary widely, even among those reporting success.

Suggestive?

I've been sceptical of the short soak times, too, but then people are
reporting successes. Until we know what's going on, we don't know if the
short soak times are short, or long for that matter.

You should be sceptical. If the same result is reported with different
times, like this, odds are that the variable has no affect at all.

b) Glycerol, a liquid at normal temperatures, cannot fill cellular

spaces
as
PEG 1000, a solid (ok, almost solid) does _after the wood is dried_ ,

with
emphasis for alcohol advocates on the drying. Can't dry anything by

soaking
it. Sort of like fighting for peace.

What is the difference between glycerol and glycerine? btw: The FPL

talks
about drying wood using various liquids including salt presoaks and hot

oil
immersion.

You'll excuse me for discounting your evaluations a touch for not knowing or
looking up the word glycerol.

While you're there, look up dehydration, and see if it's the same as
drying....