Arch

Martin, to me this thread is a debate in the sense that it is a
discussion and not an experiment, with defenses by reasoning, of
differing theories of how LDD works and differing approaches of how to
induce or deduce their validity.... Say what, Arch? I dunno what I
said.

Rick, Many thanks for your thoughtful posts. I can understand their
frustration when people say that Leif's/Kent's or anyone's LDD method
doesn't work after not _really_ using the method.

I agree that we should feel free to explore any variations that seem to
work. Ex. I believe that NIP and LDD are a special case. Slathering
whole NIP log sections or rough turnings with any brand of LDD and
storing them out of the sun prevents rot & cracks, lubricates the wood,
and doesn't materially affect lacquer, oil, wax or varnish
finishes.These effects last for years...or probably I just believe they
do.

This is a ridiculous and scientifically indefensible personal anecdote
which seems to work for me. Go figure... or better yet, go set up a
scientific experiment...If you are convinced that ultimately science
isn't a social enterprise with acceptance of our teacher's and their
teacher's biases and mores. Of course, someone eventually breeches the
etiquette and we can start all over again.

Anyway, this is a good thread with much thoughtful input to think about.
Hope my thought_less OT hasn't ruined it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter