Dan Bollinger

Strange, because this is the only part which, by analogy to PEG, stands a
chance of being defended. Essentially the argument is that something is
"left behind" in the cellular spaces, as is true with PEG. I believe you
and others suggest it may be the glycerol.

The word you are looking for is 'bulking'. PEG works by bulking, not drying
the wood. People have speculated, but not emphatically stated, let alone
proven that LDD bulks. Others say it doesn't bulk. The jury is still out on
that.

a) Soak times quoted for LDD are absolutely inadequate for replacement.
Actually, they vary widely, even among those reporting success.

Suggestive?

I've been sceptical of the short soak times, too, but then people are
reporting successes. Until we know what's going on, we don't know if the
short soak times are short, or long for that matter.

b) Glycerol, a liquid at normal temperatures, cannot fill cellular spaces

as
PEG 1000, a solid (ok, almost solid) does _after the wood is dried_ , with
emphasis for alcohol advocates on the drying. Can't dry anything by

soaking
it. Sort of like fighting for peace.

What is the difference between glycerol and glycerine? btw: The FPL talks
about drying wood using various liquids including salt presoaks and hot oil
immersion.

Dan