Martin Rost

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
{SNIPPAGE}
======LDD is hydrophilic, has a higher molar weight and in the course of
drawing out the water through the membrane of cell walls, it thins the LDD
solution. I guess that could be called a chemical reaction? Therefore,

the
more wood one soaks in LDD solution, the thinner the solution gets. Ergo,
the drop in specific gravity and the need to occasionally add more LDD to
the solution. Rick didn't make any mention of adding more LDD to his 4:1
ratio of solution over time and I would be interested to hear what he does
or doesn't do in this regard. If the solution is so thinned out as to
approach the same molar weight of water in the cells, no water will be
extracted and the solution will essentially be water.

Leif,
I'm not taking any sides on the LDD debate, but if the LDD solution is
drawing water out of the wood so as to thin the solution, and requiring the
addition of more LDD, wouldn't you see the level of the solution rising in
your container? After a while of soaking bowls and drawing out water,
wouldn't the container start to overflow? I don't mean to attack your
explanation, just seeing if it holds water, so to speak.
Martin