Bazza

Pufter wrote:
Bazza Wrote:

I am in the process of decorating and laying a laminate floor, to avoid
using beading to cover the expansion gap (tried it in another room but
did not like the effect) I have removed the skirting board which will
be
painted before replacing over the laminate.
Rather than nailing it back in position I am thinking of using one of
the "no nails" type of adhesive, anybody had any experience using this
method with skirting, it is quite hefty measuring 170 x 20mm.

Bazza

I like no nails when replacing skirting using laminate. Buy a trade
pack of the stuff from B&Q - it's cheaper. A word of warning - as it
dries it will pull the skirting (or anything else - eg. dado rail) into
every slight dip in the wall horizontally resulting in bendy skirting
instead of dead straight. This will look awful. As soon as you fit it
to the wall, pack out any larger gaps between the skirting & wall with
anything that won't compress to stop it being pulled in at these
points. Card is better than nothing, but pieces of self adhesive vinyl
floor tiles cut into little rectangles are great (go to Poundland)
because you can stick 'em together to build up the depth plus the
sticky side ensures they dont just drop down the gap. Push them down
just below the top of the skirting or use a stanley knife to trim off
the excess flush. Wait at least 24 hours for the no nails to go off,
then seal along the top with your decorators caulk. No-one will ever
know & you'll have nice straight skirting. Screw skirting when using
carpet - the pressure of the carpet tucked in can force your skirting
off the wall over time otherwise. Use car body filler to fill the holes
- cheaper than woodfiller & easier to sand.

Thanks for the adhesive shrinkage tip, the original skirting was not
plastered behind but fixed using 10mm wood spacers at the points where
it was nailed to bring it flush with the plaster,this would result in a
nice wavy effect!!! needless to say removing the skirting resulted in a
lot of split wood(nails where big buggers when it was built in ,37)
which means i will have to fit all new as i cannot get the original
design, prob MDF, does this bend as much as wood?.
I think the best way may be to plaster down to floor level leaving a
20mm gap at the bottom to conceal the sky/Ethernet/telephone/tv cables
which have been tacked onto the skirting over the last 10 years

Bazza