Leif Thorvaldson

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
The ratio of LDD, seems problematic. If Rick's ratio works for him,

great.
The thing that I hang my hat on is that I have the same LDD in a "vat"

that
I started with, and with the addition of a quart or two of LDD once a

year,
really doesn't cost any more except for the initial investment

($15.00???).
Perhaps more has to be added when you are processing more wood, as the

water
from the wood will thin the solution. I kept a check on it with a
hydrometer for about a year and found out that adding a quart or so of
LDD
kept the Specific Gravity of the 50/50 solution at the recommended ratio.

George: Here's my; answer to your questions based on vaguely recalled
chemistry classes in alchemical times. Perhaps newer, better, more correct
answers are available from one of the members of the rec. *G*

Why should the ratio seem problematic? If the bush burns but is not
consumed, why should the number of branches affect the light?

=====By problematic, I meant that people use differing ratios of LDD to
water. Some have reported that theirs didn't work and blamed it on too thin
a solution. Perhaps Rick is exercising some thaumaturgical abilities on the
wood. Perhaps involving zen-like incantations?

If there were some sort of chemical reaction, of course, conventional
chemistry would demand replacement of reagent.

======LDD is hydrophilic, has a higher molar weight and in the course of
drawing out the water through the membrane of cell walls, it thins the LDD
solution. I guess that could be called a chemical reaction? Therefore, the
more wood one soaks in LDD solution, the thinner the solution gets. Ergo,
the drop in specific gravity and the need to occasionally add more LDD to
the solution. Rick didn't make any mention of adding more LDD to his 4:1
ratio of solution over time and I would be interested to hear what he does
or doesn't do in this regard. If the solution is so thinned out as to
approach the same molar weight of water in the cells, no water will be
extracted and the solution will essentially be water.

If there were a physical replacement, what did the replacement would have
be regularly replenished.

=====Don't understand the question. Perhaps you could rephrase it?

Leif