Dave

Tony Hwang wrote in

Do the control wires typically connect to something else
(transformer?)

Hi,
Reading this line, I think you need pro's help.
Don't do it yourself.

Why are people so reluctant to answer a question? "Don't do it yourself"
is not an answer to my question. At least explain why you think I
shouldn't do it myself. Otherwise, why bother replying? I already know
that calling a pro is an option so I'm no more enlightened about my
situation than I was before I read your post.

Regardless, I ended up getting a stat that uses battery power. It's a
Robertshaw 8600 and while it's not the most quality product I've ever
handled, for $35 I can't complain. It works, is programmable (5/2) and has
a backlight.

Thanks to those that offered help and information.