Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Yes, that's why in all around the world the neutral of LV distribution
transformers is earthed (so I learned in my studies) so that you get
schocked and know that electricity is dangerous (no joke) AND because in a
neighborhood e.g. someone would be touching a live phase and someone else
another, so that both would be exposed to the line to line voltage which is
380 V in Europe (220 V in USA).However this happens only in LV, in MV, HV
and EHV there's no need for a reference to ground, because the windings of
the substation transformer are in delta, ungrounded.This doesn't make the
voltage not dangerous, I was told some horror stories back in Kozani.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

wrote:
Ioslation transformer must still have the secondary (the 120
volt side) connected back to the building safety ground. If
not, then the appliance will 'float' - can become electrically
hot. If the transformer is properly designed, then either it
has such a connection OR it has a dedicated grounding wire
terminal to make that necessary connection.

No, that's the point of isolation. Because the appliance floats, it can
become "hot" but the leakage current has no reference to the building
ground so if you touch the hot case, no current will flow through you.

Not that a safety ground isn't _still_ a good idea, mind you.
--scott