Andy Hall

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:27:58 +0100, doozer
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
snip

Many thanks. That's more than I could have hoped for and provide me with
ample food for thought.

I hadn't thought of lining the inside of the garage, now you mention it
though it seems like a no brainer.

Cheers

Graham

It wasn't that expensive to do either. You can buy second grade
Celotex from www.secondsandco.co.uk, although with transport it may
not be cheaper than a builder's merchant. I put together a complete
shopping list including timber and ply and other materials and faxed
it to several builder's merchants telling them that I wanted a project
price. This brought the costs down considerably.

My garage has a pitched roof with roof trusses, so I boarded that over
(but didn't insulate at the "ceiling" level). I fitted insulation
between the rafters, leaving an air gap for ventilation behind.
Thus the roof area is not full heated (cutting costs a bit) but
doesn't get cold or damp either.

I then built timber frames from pressure treated 75x50mm timber and
bolted them to the "ceiling" joists and via Rawlbolts and DPC material
to the concrete floor. THere is a small airgap behind the framing. I
then fitted insulation between the frame components and fitted 18mm
ply to the frame. This also has the advantage that you can easily
fit things like shelves, cupboards or whatever anywhere.

Celotex is very light and I also insulated the doors, while at the
same time draught proofing them with plastic strips.

Even if you don't go to the lengths that I did and add the CH feed and
have to use electricity, 3kW is a lot more reasonable than 12kW.
I have a setback arrangement on my heating so that the temperature
doesn't go below 10degrees, and it also means that everything remains
dry.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl