Ted Edwards

Rich Grise wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2005 08:25:52 -0400, [presumably Mebart] top-posted:
Thanks for writing this Ted, my observations are not nearly as effective
as your comments because you have a health problem that is exasebbated by
ozone. I hope everyone warns their friends. Negative Ions means the same
thing as ozone,

Begging your pardon, but this is simply not true. A negative ion is _any_
atom with an extra electron attached to it (or two, or however many you
can get to stick.) Ozone is a specific compound, chemical formula O3.
Simply a molecule comprising three oxygen atoms.

Mind you, ozone is a _by-product_ whenever there is ion generation going
on, but the idea that "negative ions" and "ozone" are the same is terribly,
deeply, mistaken. My intent here is not to hurt your feelings, but I guess
I'd have to say I'm on a crusade to prevent this kind of misinformation
from being promulgated as if it were fact.

Note that his statement is, "Negative Ions means the same thing as
ozone,..." not "are the same thing". Unless you use a mechanism to
generate negative ions that does not produce ozone (not likely in a home
air cleaner) they do "mean the same thing" in practical terms.

so I'm not sure why these devices are so popular.

Because they work? They make their customers feel better?

So do jelly donuts to diabetics but ... They certainly don't work.

http://google.fda.gov/search?client=...&q=ozone&as=GO

Any amount of ozone is too much,

That's just silly. Or maybe just standard, run-of-the-mill hysteria.

Note that the URL you supplied refers mainly to CFCs and the Ozone layer
however one of the first citations states:
"
(a) Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in
specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. In order for ozone to be
effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far
greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.
"

although a small trace amount appears
in the air as a result of static from lightening and other natural
events.

And makes the outdoors smell springtime fresh! :-)

Your name has a familiar ring. Where/are you involved in the sale or
manufacture of ionic "air cleaners"?

Ted