Banty

In article , G Henslee says...

Banty wrote:
In article , G Henslee says...

wrote:

Hello,

this one sounds obvious but I've already seen differences between what I
read in books and what is common practice so I figured I'd ask.

Getting ready to install porcelain floor tiles. We're going to use those
little plastic spacers to establish grout lines. It clearly says on the
package to remove the spacers prior to grouting. There is a tool especially
made for removing these things.

Installer (or perhaps soon to be ex-installer) says he plans on just leaving
them in and grouting on top of them. This seems crazy to me. Is this
commonly done?

thanks for comments
ml

Not commonly done, no. It's been done before when using thick quarry
tile but not a real good idea. I've removed floors that had them in
place still. You don't any special tools. Just use a pair of
needlenose pliers to yank'em before you grout.

Do you remove vinyl sheet flooring before tiling? If so, how do you remove it
from the floor?

Banty

If it's loose in several places or it's a perimeter glue-down product,
remove it. I use a power scraper - Makita.

It's completely glued down (or at least a lot more than perimeter), good
condition, farily new (installed in 1996).

Still remove it?

Banty

Banty