Thanks for the info. I have read the various google hits that come up on
the first few pages anyway. If any vinyl tile can be tiled over w/ceramic,
as some have reported using modified thinset, then I think these can. They
are thin, installed directly on the slab, and have almost no compressibility
left in them. They are very firmly set as well.

Had I put less trust in this contractor to start with I would have had us
remove the flooring prior to installing the cabinets. I really don't want
to try and remove the flooring now that the cabinets are installed.

I'm gonna get some professional tile setters opinions and bids and go from
there.

And yes, my installer is now my ex-installer.

thanks again
ml