Gideon

Dean,

I like both, but I've observed that it seems there are more homeowners
having problems with small 4-cycle engines than with small 2-cycle
engines. This is just my observation, plus it doesn't necessarily imply
a defect of small 4-cycle engines. My guess is that most homeowners
can remember to add the correct oil to the gasoline for a 2-cycle
application when they refill the gasoline storage tank, but they have
a greater tendency to forget to check oil levels and frequently replace
oil in 4-cycle applications. The average homeowner easily forgets
the oil in the crankcase, and his wife and his 13 year-old son are
even worse. Just my guess.

I've got a couple of Ryobi 4-cycle small engines and I've been unhappy
with both. Internet browsing indicates that I'm not alone - there seem
to be universal problems with starting and smooth running. Like many
small engines, these are "idiot-proofed" by having no engine adjustments
other than idle control. They also have an electronic governor which
causes the engine to intentionally miss at a level necessary to avoid
exceeding engine red-line when you give it full throttle. I'm not certain
if I trust those electronics.

Honda seems to have a good reputation for all small engines. You'll
probably be happy with their products.

Good luck,
Gideon

dean wrote in message
.com...
Because I've been tempted to buy some of the new Honda 4 cylcle
engine-powers garden equipment, and until recently the really small
engines have always been 2 cycle. Or at least I think they have.

Dean