Scott Packard

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:44:28 +0000, blueman wrote:

While visiting the local locksmith last week, he pressed very hard to
sell me Medeco locks, saying that he couldn't recommend anything else.

We live in a "nice" house in a safe, residential neighborhood, with an
up-to-date alarm system.

Is the Medeco lock that much better and worth it than "standard" lock
technologies or does the locksmith just get a better commission
selling higher-priced Medeco models?

Thanks

Top quality. There are (or were) four grades of Medeco locks, the top
being no keys could ever be made again for the lock once it came from
the factory. They're used to secure all sorts of gov't. things that are
important, from armories to doors.
Just make sure the burglar can't smash a window to bypass the lock.
The locksmiths I go to never pressure-sell anything.

My latest lock choice was Abloy, because they are pretty cool.
But, they are harder to open when it's pitch black outside.
The conventional keyway of the Medeco would have made it easier to find
the keyway using the tip of the key.

I think alarms are a waste. Most people ignore the sound, and in
my area the cops are only going to file a report if things are taken.
Better idea is a) keep thiefs out by making your house harder to break
into than the next guy's, and b) webcams + motion sensors to record the
thief when he does break in.

- Scott