David W.E. Roberts

Default Very OT - recovering data from a Compact Flash card

"Ziggy" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 May 2004 16:29:21 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Anyone know of a good (free if possible) disc fixer which might be able

recover the data?

Take a look at www.dfsee.com

IIRC 45 evaluation period.

Trying this now.

My brain is slowly melting - shows how much I have got used to being
'nannied' by graphical interfaces designed for dumb bunny users.

AFAICS the main problem is that the directory holding the images is being
seen as a single file - there is some kind of corruption at the top level,
as there should be a 'My Documents' directory (to keep my iPAQ happy), and
an IMFIXD10 directory/folder to keep the camera happy.

The card seems to contain one very large file, and another couple of zero
length files, all of which have 'garbage' file names.

I am hoping to find a tool that will treat the 'file' as a directory and
recover files from it.

So far it looks as though the card is totally screwed, with bad format and
bad sectors.

Now wondering how this happened - did I let it too near my mobile phone or
something?

Fortunately I have most of the pictures backed up to hard disc - just can't
remeber if I used the card since the last backup.

Ho hum.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Dave R